April 11, 2016 – July 8, 2016 – 2 Bedroom, 1.5 bath condominium in the residential community of Las Palmas, Playas del Coco, Costa Rica. Rented through Palm Real Estate.
Average monthly expenses (CAD)
- Accommodation – $914. This was the shoulder season so you can expect higher rental costs from December – March.
- Transit Travel – $107. We were able to use accumulated credit card points for our airline tickets and two hotel nights enroute. This included $50 USD shuttle from the airport in Liberia.
- Groceries/Food – $886. Our son and a friend were with us for two weeks. This includes a few meals at restaurants. Generally local fruit and vegetables are well priced, markets are a great choice and anything imported is expensive.
- Travel Insurance – $167. We chose World Nomads to provide coverage after our Canadian coverage expired.
- Utilities / Communications – $304. Electricity was the biggest expense ($240) and is higher at the beach areas due to A/C usage. Water and internet ($30 each) were very reasonable. A local SIM card was very inexpensive ($4).
- Local Transport – $15. We used a few taxis to and from town when we had groceries, but generally walked.
- Miscellaneous – $80. This included a few health and beauty items including hair cuts.
- General Logistics – $49. This included extra bank fees and a mail box rental in Nova Scotia.
Total Monthly Costs – $2522.
Explanatory comments: We have chosen not to include leisure expenses as this is quite subjective and varies so much between travelers and situations. As well, we chose to take a couple of road trips and had some great adventures which we described in our posts. The general costs are included in the posts.